Built / Designed For: Sir Edward Holt
House & Family History: Blackwell House was designed by Baillie Scott 1898-1900 as a weekend retreat for Sir Edward Holt, a wealthy brewer and lord mayor of Manchester. During World War II it was used by Huyton College of Liverpool, and subsequently became Blackwell School, a girl's preparatory school, until its closure in 1976. It was then leased by English Nature for almost 20 years as offices. In 1999 Blackwell was purchased by the Lakeland Arts Trust, restored, and opened to the public in 2001.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Holt family, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: Owned and operated by The Lakeland Arts Trust.