A 1783 engraving of the House from "Grose's Antiquities of England & Wales"
House & Family History: Basing House was a five-story 16th century house that was considered in its time to be the greatest private house in the country (it rivaled Hampton Court Palace in size and opulence). Basing was built circa 1535 for William Paulet, 1st Marquess of Winchester and treasurer to Edward VI, Queen Mary, and Queen Elizabeth, and was comprised of two linked houses: the Old House, located within a defensive ring of earthworks and incorporating the remains of a Norman motte and bailey castle, and the New House, located outside the earthen defenses; a bridge and gateway linked the two houses. During the Civil War the House was severely damaged by Parliamentary troops, who attacked Basing on three separate occasions. On October 13, 1645, with the force of Oliver Cromwell's troops behind them, the Parliamentarians took the House, looted the contents, and left the building to be destroyed by fire. After the Glorious Revolution, Charles Paulet, who owned the Basing Estate, took down the surviving parts of the House and built a new house at Hackwood. Today only the foundations and earthworks of Basing remain.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: William Paulet, 1st Marquess of Winchester, 16th century. Joseph Martineau, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: Owned by Hampshire County Council, who open the grounds and ruins to the public.
House Open to Public: Yes
Historic Houses Member: No