The House from the Jan 1, 1853 edition of "The Illustrated London News."
House & Family History: In 1802 Argyll House was sold to Lt.-Col. Henry Francis Greville for £70. Greville altered and added to the House, and, in 1806, opened it as the Argyll Rooms (not to be confused with Argyle Subscription Rooms, part of the London Trocadero and notorious as a haunt of prostitutes). Geville's rooms were a meeting place of fashionable society, who were entertained here by ballet, vaudeville, and other entertainments.
Architect: Ignatius BonomiDate: 1808
Architect: Roger MorrisDate: Circa 1729
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Archibald Campbell, 1st Earl of Ilay and 3rd Duke of Argyll, 18th century. Field Marshal John Campbell, Marquess of Lorne and 5th Duke of Argyll, 18th century. Robert Raymond, 2nd Baron Raymond, 18th century. William Jolliffe, 18th century. George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen, 19th century. Lt.-Col. Henry Francis Greville, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No