DiCamillo Companion
England

Alfreton Hall

  • Built / Designed For: Rowland Morewood

    House & Family History: In 1887 an infamous Christmas party was hosted at Alfreton by its owner, Charles Palmer-Morewood, who had, as his guests, his four brothers. After dinner the group retired to the Library, where Charles was attacked by his brothers, who tried to force him, at revolver-point, to sign over outstanding inheritances to them (it was later claimed that the brothers had drawn lots to determine which one of them would kill Charles should he not sign the document). Charles refused to sign; he was later found alive, but bloody and naked, by his servants. Charles pressed charges against his brothers, all of whom skipped bail and fled abroad, together with their sister, Ellen Miller-Mundy (Mrs. Miller-Mundy had, shockingly recently, left her husband for Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, the 20th Earl of Shrewsbury; her husband, seated at nearby Shipley Hall, consequently began divorce proceedings against his scandal-ridden wife). In May 1963 Derbyshire County Council acquired the House and approximately 90 acres of parkland for £28,500. Because of mining subsidence, the House was mostly demolished in 1968; the 1855 wing, which is today Grade II-listed, was converted into an arts and adult education center. Alfreton was sold to Genesis Social Enterprise in 2006 by the county council and now hosts conferences, banquets, and weddings.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Most of the Estate parkland became part of a public park in the 1960s.

  • Architect: Benjamin Wilson

    Date: 1855
    Designed: Added wing for William Palmer-Morewood

    View all houses

    Architect: Francis Smith

    Date: 1724-25
    Designed: House for Rowland Morewood

    View all houses
  • J.B. Burke: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 94 & 111, 1855.

  • Title: Smith of Warwick: Francis Smith, Architect and Master-Builder
    Author: Gomme, Andor
    Year Published: 2000
    Reference: pg. 166
    Publisher: Lincolnshire: Shaun Tyas
    ISBN: 1900289385
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat of: Rowland Morewood, 18th century; Charles Palmer-Morewood, 19th century; Palmer-Morewood family here from the 17th century until the 1960s.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Mixed Use

    Ownership Details: Since 2006 used as a conference, banquet, and wedding venue.

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 01773-838-200

    Email: info@alfretonhall.com

    Website: http://www.alfretonhall.com

    Historic Houses Member: No