DiCamillo Companion
England

Adlestrop Park

  • House & Family History: Adlestrop was originally a property of Evesham Abbey. It came into the ownership of the Leigh family in 1553. William Leigh probably converted a barn into the house, circa 1650. Post 1690 the symmetrical northwest entrance facade was created by Theophilus Leigh. Sanderson Miller added a two-story block to the House between 1750 and 1754. In 1759-63, Miller expanded upon his earlier addition and formed the current southwest fa├žade in the Gothick style.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: In 1759-63 Samuel Driver laid out the gardens; these designs were swept away by Humphry Repton when he landscaped and enlarged the grounds between 1799 and 1812. Extant is a square rubble Dovecote. Also extant is a Lodge by John Clifford. On the Estate is Adlestrop House, a house of circa 1670 that was the former rectory. Jane Austen (whose mother was a first cousin of the Rev. Thomas Leigh) visited Adlestrop House on a number of occasions between 1794 and 1806.

  • Architect: Sanderson Miller

    Date: Circa 1750-63
    Designed: Added additions (circa 1750) and other extensions (1759-63) for James Leigh

    View all houses

    Architect: Humphry Repton

    Date: 1799-1812
    Designed: Enlarged and landscaped Park (swept away Samuel Driver's earlier designs)

    View all houses

    Architect: Samuel Driver

    Date: 1759-63
    Designed: Partly laid out grounds

    View all houses

    Architect: John Clifford

    Date: 1849
    Designed: Southwest Lodge

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 134, 1855.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.

  • Title: Disintegration of a Heritage: Country Houses and their Collections, 1979-1992, The
    Author: Sayer, Michael
    Year Published: 1993
    Publisher: Norfolk: Michael Russell (Publishing)
    ISBN: 0859551970
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat of: William Leigh, 17th century; Theophilus Leigh, late 17th century; James Leigh, 18th century; James Henry Leigh, late 18th century; Leigh family here from 1553 until 1990.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No