DiCamillo Companion
England

Addington Palace (Addington Place)

  • Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.

    House & Family History: In the mid-18th century Addington was sold for for £38,500 (approximately £6 million in 2016 inflation-adjusted values using the retail price commodity index) to Barlow Trecothick, a successful Boston, Massachusetts, merchant. Trecothick moved to London, where he became an MP and lord mayor of London. For most of the 19th century Addington Palace was the country residence of six archbishops of Canterbury (it was during their occupation that the house’s name was changed from place to palace). During the Great War the House was taken over by the Red Cross and used a fever hospital. In 1930 the London Borough of Croydon took over the ownership of Addington; they leased it in 1953 to the Royal School of Church Music, who had their publishing operations, residential college, and choir school here until 1996, when a private company took over the lease and began operating Addington Palace as a wedding venue.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Much of the grounds have been leased by golf clubs. Part of the former grounds today house Bishops Walk, a high end housing development.

  • Architect: Robert Mylne

    Date: 1774
    Designed: House for Barlow Trecothick

    View all houses
  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Sir John Leigh, 18th century; Leigh family here from 16th century until 1737. Barlow Trecothick, 18th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Ivers-Trecothick, 18th century; James Ivers-Trecothick, until 1802. William Coles, 19th century. Westgarth Snaith, 19th century. Charles Thomas Longley, Archbishop of Canterbury, 19th century. Mr. F.A. English, late 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Government

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Wedding & Event Venue

    Ownership Details: Owned by the Borough of Croydon and leased to a private company, who operate the House as a wedding venue.

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 02086-625-000

    Website: https://www.addington-palace.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No